College of Performing and Visual Arts
Contact: Lisa Stocker, Administrative Assistant
Location: Guggenheim 103
Students must consult with their assigned major advisor each semester prior to registering.
Please note that in Art & Design, all classes are closed until a student is released by the professor to register for each Art course. That is accomplished by meeting with their major advisor on or by Advising Day (scheduled each semester).
Contact the Art office for more information.
The program consists of three parts:
- Liberal Arts Core (LAC) Credits
- Required Major Credits
- University-Wide Credits
The art history emphasis is a program preparing the student for an academic career in Art History, and provides the student with the basic skills needed for graduate level coursework. This emphasis requires the student to be competent in the visual arts, including an understanding of artistic techniques, styles, historical context and various research methodologies. The student will also demonstrate competency of an appropriate foreign language for continual research and scholarly development.
Program Admission Requirements:
Admission. Students planning to major or minor in Art & Design must apply and be accepted into the School of Art & Design. Interested students need to submit an application and an Entry Portfolio, consisting of artwork and essay. A written essay alone will be considered if no artwork is available. Application form and instructions are available in the School of Art & Design office, or on their webpage, www.arts.unco.edu/artanddesign. The deadline for applications is March 1 to attend the Fall Semester, and October 31 to attend the Spring Semester. Late applications may be accepted depending on availability of space in the program.
Declaring an Art & Design major or minor without applying does not assure admission to the program.
Students needing a resource in creating a portfolio may consider taking Art 121, Introduction to Art & Design Studies. The class serves as an exploration of Art studies and assists students in developing a portfolio.
- After successful acceptance of entry application, New Art & Design students must complete the Freshman Foundation requirements before they can begin their advanced art studies. The Freshman Foundation Courses include Art 181, Art 182, Art 183, Art 184, and Art 234 which must be completed with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Students must also successfully complete the Foundation Portfolio.
- To graduate with a B.A. in Art & Design, all students must earn a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher in all courses in the major, and a 2.8 GPA or higher for overall university coursework.
- An exit level Art History research paper is required prior to graduation. Students will be evaluated through a defense of their thesis by committee during their last semester of their senior year. Students will also be evaluated on their knowledge and successful demonstration of academic research and methodology skills.
Degree Requirements — 120 Credits
1. Required LAC — 34 credits
2. Required Major — 63 credits
Take all of the following courses:
First complete the following five Freshman Foundation Courses:
Complete the following course:
|ART 185||Neoclassic to Modern Art History||
Art Studio (15 credits)
Complete the following course:
Choose one of the following Art Studio courses:
And choose three Art Studio courses (9 hours) at the 200-level or above.
Art History Core (18 credits)
Choose six of the following courses:
Foreign Language: (Choose 9 credits)
Directed Art History Study
Choose 3 credits from the following courses:
ART 422: (Research, internship, or other academic experience)
3. University-Wide Credits — 23 credits
Complete additional credits to achieve the minimum credits needed for this degree at UNC; for this degree, that will typically be 23 credits.