College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Contact: Thomas G. Endres, Ph.D., School Director
Location: Candelaria 1265
Students must consult with their assigned major advisor each semester prior to registering.
Assigned advisor is available through the Ursa login; ursa.unco.edu; under Student tab Academic Profile channel and is term specific. If no advisor is listed, contact the major program for advisor information.
The program consists of four parts:
- Liberal Arts Core (LAC) Credits
- Required Major Credits
- Required Minor Credits
- University-Wide Credits
A major in the discipline of communication studies allows the student to examine closely the many ways in which message exchange is the foundation of human societies and cultures. At UNC, communication coursework focuses on theoretical, analytic and practical aspects of human interaction. Students may elect to emphasize the study of communication in interpersonal, small group, organizational and intercultural contexts. Practical skills may be obtained in professional presentation, persuasion, leadership, and communication consulting.
Students completing this program may elect to apply for graduate study in the field of communication, to apply to law or other professional schools, or to begin a career with businesses who are interested in hiring people whose expertise involves human communication.
Program Admission Requirements:
Academic Good Standing
- Complete a minimum of 18 semester credits in 300- and 400-level COMM courses, with a minimum of 6 semester credits at the 400-level. A maximum of 3 semester credits of credits from COMM 422 and six credits of COMM 492 may count toward the major requirements.
- Majors may count one course in a related discipline toward their communication electives. This course must be approved by their major advisor.
- The program expects its new majors to have already made significant progress toward completion of the Liberal Arts Core requirements.
- Juniors and Seniors with a GPA of 3.0 and higher may register for 500 level COMM courses.
- Students in the Honors Program may count HON 351 and HON 451 as electives in Communication Studies.
- Students who are not eligible for an internship are required to complete six additional credits of Communication electives.
Degree Requirements — 120 Credits
1. Required LAC — 40 credits
2. Required Major — 36 credits
Take all of the following courses:
Choose six credits from the following courses:
|COMM 492||Undergraduate Internship||
1 - 10
| ||Any COMM prefix electives||
Choose nine credits from the following courses:
3. Required Minor — 18 credits
4. University-Wide Credits — 26 credits
Complete additional credits to achieve the minimum credits needed for this degree at UNC; for this degree, that will typically be 26 credits.