Contact: Robert Mondi, Director
Location: Michener L100
Students must consult with their assigned major advisor each semester prior to registering.
Assigned advisor is available through the Ursa login; ursa.unco.edu; under Student tab Academic Profile channel and is term specific. If no advisor is listed, contact the major program for advisor information.
The program consists of three parts:
- Liberal Arts Core (LAC) Credits
- Required Major Credits
- University-Wide Credits
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Interdisciplinary Studies enables any undergraduate student to pursue an interdisciplinary theme of study he or she has devised in substitution for the traditional major. Each student works with two faculty advisors who assist in constructing a program of coursework that will meet the student's objectives. This program affords students the opportunity to pursue topics of study tailored to meet their individual interests and needs.
Graduates will benefit by pursuing a major that develops awareness of the interrelatedness and wholeness of knowledge. This program enables students to integrate knowledge focusing on both contemporary and lasting human issues and problems. Students will develop both theoretical and practical approaches to topics. This major will provide the groundwork for students who aspire to useful careers in such important fields as urban affairs, business relations, environmental protection, human development and international relations.
Program Admission Requirements:
Students desiring to enter the program must have their interdisciplinary studies proposal approved by the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee no later than the first semester of their junior year.
- At least 50 percent of the courses taken to complete the major must be upper division courses, 300-400 level.
- Interdisciplinary studies proposals must include at least 12 credits each from a minimum of two disciplines to be considered acceptable proposals.
- Students in this program must maintain a grade point average of 2.6 or above.
- The 60 credit hours required for the major must be completed after course proposal has been approved.
Degree Requirements — 120 Credits
1. Required LAC — 40 credits
2. Required Major — 60 credits
Take all of the following:
- XXXX 422 Directed Studies (3) (Must be a Thesis or Final Project)
- Must have regular prefix of appropriate area of study with the departmental prefix of the primary advisor as supervising faculty.
- Complete an approved, coherent multi- or interdisciplinary program of courses to total 57 credits.
3. University-Wide Credits — 20 credits
Complete additional credits to achieve the minimum credits needed for this degree at UNC; for this degree, that will typically be 20 credits