College of Natural and Health Sciences
Contact: Cynthia S. Galovich, Ph.D.
Location: Ross Hall 0232
Students must consult with their assigned major advisor each semester prior to registering.
Assigned advisor is available through the Ursa login; ursa.unco.edu; under Student tab Academic Profile channel and is term specific. If no advisor is listed, contact the major program for advisor information.
The program consists of three parts:
- Liberal Arts Core (LAC) Credits
- Required Major Credits
- University-Wide Credits
This emphasis gives graduates excellent preparation for graduate school in Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Physics, and for employment in industry and research laboratories.
Program Admission Requirements:
Academic Good Standing
- A research project, completed in PHYS 470, is required for all emphases except secondary teaching. HON 451 may be substituted for PHYS 470.
- A 2.0 GPA or better is required in PHYS prefix courses for graduation.
Degree Requirements — 120 Credits
1. Required Specified LAC — 18 credits
LAC area 2 — Mathematics
LAC area 6 — Physical and Life Sciences
Remaining LAC — 22 credits
See “Liberal Arts Core”
NOTE: Students need to select courses from Areas 7 and/or 8 that also count for Areas 3, 4, or 5.
2. Required Major — 61-65 credits
Take all of the following courses:
3. University-Wide Credits — 15-19 credits
Complete additional credits to achieve the minimum credits needed for this degree at UNC; for this degree, that will typically be 15-19 credits.