College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Contact: Karen M. Jennison, Ph.D., Sociology Chair
Location: Candelaria 2285
Students must consult with their assigned major advisor each semester prior to registering.
Assigned advisor is available through the Ursa login; ursa.unco.edu; under Student tab Academic Profile channel and is term specific. If no advisor is listed, contact the major program for advisor information.
The program consists of three parts:
- Liberal Arts Core (LAC) Credits
- Required Major Credits
- University-Wide Credits
The Bachelor of Arts in Sociology with an emphasis in Family Studies includes an examination of major contemporary family issues and social policy. The applied research practicum experience with a social agency or organization that delivers family-relevant services is the capstone course.
Graduates will be prepared for employment in a variety of state, local and private agencies involved in delivering family services.
Program Admission Requirements:
Academic Good Standing
- A 2.0 GPA within the major is required.
- At least 50 percent of the courses taken to complete the major must be upper division, 300-400 level.
- All emphasis areas provide a foundation for graduate work in sociology.
- Students may select only ONE emphasis area.
- Juniors and seniors with a University GPA of 3.0 and higher may register for 500 level courses.
- Students need to attend a required practicum meeting during the fall before their spring senior year practicum and subsequently need to set up their research projects with the agencies before the spring semester begins.
- Missing the required fall orientation meeting for the subsequent spring practicum (SOC 493) is equivalent to missing the first two class periods and sufficient cause to be dropped from the course, unless other arrangements are made prior to this meeting.
Degree Requirements — 120 Credits
1. Required Specified LAC — 6 credits
LAC area 5.c. — Human Behavior and Social Systems
LAC area 2 — Mathematics
Choose one of the following courses:
Remaining LAC — 34 credits
See “Liberal Arts Core”.
2. Required Major — 41 credits
Take all of the following courses:
|SOC 120||Introduction to Family Studies||
|SOC 221||Sociology of Gender||
|SOC 324||Issues in the Family||
|SOC 326||Sociology of Childhood and Adolescence||
|SOC 351||Classical Social Theory||
|SOC 352||Contemporary Social Theory||
|SOC 361||Methods of Sociological Research I||
|SOC 362||Methods of Sociological Research II||
|SOC 363||Methods of Sociological Research I Lab||
|SOC 364||Methods of Sociological Research II Lab||
|SOC 423||Violence and the Family||
|SOC 493||Practicum in Family Studies||
3 - 9
Take nine credits from courses with a SOC prefix.
3. University-Wide Credits — 39 credits
Complete additional credits to achieve the minimum credits needed for this degree at UNC; for this degree, that will typically be 39 credits.