College of Performing and Visual Arts
Contact: Lisa Stocker, Administrative Assistant
Location: Guggenheim 103
Students must consult with their assigned major advisor each semester prior to registering.
Please note that in Art & Design, all classes are closed until a student is released by the professor to register for each Art course. That is accomplished by meeting with their major advisor on or by Advising Day (scheduled each semester).
Contact the Art office for more information.
The program consists of three parts:
- Liberal Arts Core (LAC) Credits
- Required Major Credits
- University-Wide Credits
The art emphasis is a liberal arts program designed to give students broad exposure to the studio arts and art history.
It prepares the artist and craftsperson. It is an ideal preparatory program for students planning to do advanced or graduate study in art and art history.
Program Admission Requirements:
Admission. Students planning to major or minor in Art & Design must apply and be accepted into the School of Art & Design. Interested students need to submit an application and an Entry Portfolio, consisting of artwork and essay. A written essay alone will be considered if no artwork is available. Application form and instructions are available in the School of Art & Design office, or on their webpage, www.arts.unco.edu/artanddesign. The deadline for applications is March 1 to attend the Fall Semester, and October 31 to attend the Spring Semester. Late applications may be accepted depending on availability of space in the program.
Declaring an Art & Design major or minor without applying does not assure admission to the program.
Students needing a resource in creating a portfolio may consider taking Art 121, Introduction to Art & Design Studies. The class serves as an exploration of Art studies and assists students in developing a portfolio.
- After successful acceptance of entry application, New Art & Design students must complete the Freshman Foundation requirements before they can begin their advanced art studies. The Freshman Foundation Courses include Art 181, Art 182, Art 183, Art 184, and Art 234 which must be completed with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Students must also successfully complete the Foundation Portfolio.
- To graduate with a B.A. in Art & Design, all students must earn a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher in all courses in the major, and a 2.8 GPA or higher for overall university coursework.
- An Exit level Senior Portfolio assessment is required prior to graduation. The portfolio consists of work from the student's concentration area. Students are evaluated on their knowledge and successful demonstration of professional portfolio preparation of artwork, art history and cultures, and verbal and written critical analysis.
Degree Requirements — 120 Credits
1. Required LAC — 34 credits
2. Required Major — 57 credits
Take all of the following courses:
Complete the following five Freshman Foundation Courses First
Take two Art History courses — 6 credits
|ART 185||Neoclassic to Modern Art History||
| ||Take one 300 level or greater Art History Course||
Take two Art Core courses — 6 credits
Choose one Two-Dimensional Art Core course — 3 credits
ART 253: Required for Drawing Concentration
Choose two Three-Dimensional Art Core courses — 6 credits
Choose a Concentration area:
Take three courses (300 level or above) — 9 credits
Art history, ceramics, computer graphics, drawing, painting, photographic imaging, printmaking or sculpture.
Choose four Art Elective courses — 12 credits
Any ART prefix
3. University-Wide Credits — 29 credits
Complete additional credits to achieve the minimum credits needed for this degree at UNC; for this degree, that will typically be 29 credits.