Undergraduate Catalog 2024-2025

Grade Replacement Policy

Effective Fall 2013, the specifications of the Course Replacement Policy are as follows:

Courses repeated under this policy may not be eligible for financial aid; for more information, contact Financial Aid at (970) 351-4UNC (4862).

  • The Grade Replacement Policy applies to UNC courses that are letter-graded (A-F). The courses must be the same (prefix and number) and both courses must be taken at UNC. The course must not be designated repeatable for credit in the current catalog. Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grades are excluded.
  • Grade replacement can only be applied once per course for a maximum of six (6) courses; these limits only apply to courses repeated Fall 2013 or later.
  • Grade replacement can be used regardless of previous grade earned, except for an "I". Applications will not be accepted for courses with an incomplete (I) grade.
  • To use grade replacement, the student must submit a Grade Replacement Application to the Office of the Registrar no later than the drop deadline of courses being repeated. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. Once the grade replacement application deadline has passed, a grade replacement application cannot be withdrawn.
  • The most recent letter grade (A-F) attained for a course repeated under grade replacement will count toward the cumulative GPA, even if the most recent grade is lower than the grade being replaced.
  • If a student applies for grade replacement and receives a mark of “W” or “UW” in the second attempt of a course, that attempt does not count as the grade replacement opportunity and the original grade will stand.
  • All occurrences of a course are recorded on the transcript.
  • Courses are counted one time only in the total credits towards graduation.
  • All credit hours earned for initial and repeated courses will be deducted from the student’s remaining College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend eligibility hours.
  • Grades earned under a completed degree are excluded from this policy.
  • For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar at (970) 351-4UNC (4862).

If you plan to transfer to another academic institution or plan to apply for graduate school in the future, you should be aware of the fact that other institutions may include all grades in the calculation of your GPA for admission to their institution.

If you are receiving financial aid, please be aware the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is separate from the Grade Replacement Policy. Changes in your cumulative GPA and/or deficient hours due to grade replacement will not be taken into account in your financial suspension appeal until you have completed the course. If you have questions, please contact Financial Aid at (970) 351-4UNC (4862). Your academic standing with UNC remains probationary until grades are processed at the end of the semester. If you have questions in regard to your academic standing, please contact your academic advisor.

View the Grade Replacement Application at www.unco.edu/registrar/forms.aspx.