Undergraduate Catalog 2024-2025

Enrollment Status: Full Time/Part Time and Overload Status

Fall/Spring/Summer Enrollment Status:



Full Time

12 or more credit hours

Three-quarter Time

9 to 11 credit hours


6 to 8 credit hours

Less than Half-Time

5 or less credit hours

Full-time student status for most employer sponsored or family health insurance plans is normally considered 9 credit hours. Some health insurance carriers require enrollment in a minimum of 12 credits. Check with your employer or family health insurance company for their minimum enrollment requirement.

Full-time undergraduate student status for financial aid purposes and enrollment verification is 12 credit hours or more. Enrollment in 9 to 11 credits is classified as three-quarter time. Enrollment in 6 to 8 credit hours is classified as half-time. Less than half-time or part-time is 5 credit hours or less.

Note: For students enrolled in UNC’s Intensive English Program (IEP), please refer to the IEP guidelines pertaining to enrollment status.

Overload Enrollment

An overload is more than 18 credit hours for Fall and Spring terms and more than 15 total credit hours for the Summer term.

The Interim Winter Session has a 4 credit hour limit; no overload will be permitted.

A student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher may take up to 3 additional credit hours beyond the respective term overload limit without advisor approval. Exceeding 3 additional credit hours for the respective term for overload requires advisor approval. Please contact the Office of the Registrar by phone at 970-351-4UNC (4862); email at registrar@unco.edu; or in person at the Office of the Registrar, 1051 22nd Street, Campus Commons to process the overload request.

During Fall and Spring terms, a student with a GPA lower than 3.0 may take credits beyond the 18 credit hour limit course load only with the signature of their academic advisor and the Department Chair or School Director. The Credit Overload Permit form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office,1051 22nd Street, Campus Commons or faxed to 970-351-1870. See www.unco.edu/registrar/forms.aspx for forms.

Business students and student teachers require approval of both their academic advisor and Department Chair or School Director for ANY overload, regardless of GPA.

Enrollment Verification for Current Semester

UNC submits enrollment information to the National Student Clearinghouse on a monthly basis. The first enrollment submission is made after the drop deadline of the corresponding semester.

To obtain a free official Enrollment Certificate through Student Self-Service:

  1. Log into Ursa
  2. From the Student Tab, Under Useful Links - Students Applications, click on the Clearinghouse Enrollment Verification. This will take you to the National Student Clearinghouse website. (Please check for pop-up blocker if website does not come up)
  3. Click on "Obtain an Enrollment Certificate", Current enrollment to view and print an official enrollment certificate.
  4. You may also view enrollment information on file and student loan deferment notifications provided to your loan holders.

If you need a verification that requires more information than is available on the enrollment certificate, please stop by our office or contact us at 970-351-4UNC (4862).

Enrollment Verification for Previous Semester or Former Students

If you need proof of enrollment for prior semesters, you may:

  1. Order an official transcript (See transcript order information)
  2. Email your specific request to registrar@unco.edu
  3. Contact our office
    1. Phone: 970-351-4UNC (4862)
    2. In person: 1051 22nd Street, Campus Commons 2120, Greeley, CO 80639
  4. You may also obtain a fee-based verification from the My Student Center at the National Student Clearinghouse.

Degree Verification

Verification of your degree may be found at the top of your academic transcript once degrees are posted and diplomas also serve as verification of degree. Diplomas are mailed out several weeks after graduation. Information on diploma and transcript release dates.

To order a transcript, visit the Transcript Order page.

To order a replacement diploma, Visit the Diploma re-issue page.

Third-Party Requests

For employers and other institutions seeking information on students and formers students, fee-based verification services are provided by the National Student Clearinghouse