Graduate Catalog 2021-2022

Master’s Degree, Specific Requirements

Master's degrees (M.A.,, M.A.T., M.B.A., M.B.S., M.M., M.P.H., M.S., P.S.M.) are awarded for a level of academic accomplishment substantially beyond that required for the baccalaureate degree. Programs consist of a coherent pattern of courses, seminars, and supervised learning experiences that culminate in a comprehensive examination and, in some cases, a thesis. Master's programs require a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the baccalaureate degree plus additional time in preparation for comprehensive examinations or thesis writing.

Master’s Degree Program Admission

Each applicant to a master's degree program must:

  1. Possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
  2. Have a grade point average of 3.00 or better, on a 4.00 point scale, from the most recent degree earned or current degree in progress. If a master’s degree is in progress, a minimum of 18 credit hours must be completed for the GPA of the master’s degree to be used, otherwise the GPA from the bachelor’s degree will be used. Applicants admitted based on the requirement to complete a degree in progress must still provide an official transcript within the first semester of enrollment at UNC showing their degree conferred and a GPA of at least 3.0. If the transcript showing degree conferred reports a cumulative GPA less than 3.0, requirements defined by the program will be added to the student’s admission, just as they are for any admit with a GPA below 3.0.

Master's degree applicants must take the following steps to be considered for admissions:

  1. Complete the online applications and pay the non-refundable application fee.
  2. Request one official transcript from any accredited college or university where a bachelor’s degree or higher was earned or is in progress (if you have earned multiple degrees, bachelor’s level or higher, an official transcript is required from each college or university where a degree was conferred). If you received a degree from UNC, you do not need to request a transcript from UNC. The Graduate School & International Admissions Office reserves the right to request that applicants provide official transcripts from other colleges or universities as needed. Applicants who have earned or are directly pursuing a higher degree from an accredited institution without receiving a bachelor’s degree (e.g. PharmD) may be eligible to apply to the Graduate School without the conferral of a bachelor’s degree. If an applicant intends to use Veteran’s Education Benefits, an official transcript from all colleges or universities attended will be required in order to maintain compliance with Veteran’s Affairs policies.

    Official transcripts from U.S. institutions should be sent via mail directly from the educational institution in an unopened, sealed envelope or through an electronically secure digital program from the issuing institution.

    Mailed transcripts should be sent to:
    Graduate School and International Admissions
    University of Northern Colorado
    Campus Box 135
    501 20th Street
    Greeley, CO 80639

    Electronic transcripts from U.S. institutions should be sent directly from the educational institution to:

    The Graduate School and International Admissions does not accept email, scanned, or PDF transcripts directly from applicants. All official transcripts, submitted as part of the application process, are retained by UNC and not returned to applicants or admitted students.

Double Major

Only one degree will be awarded (e.g. M.A.,, M.A.T., M.B.A., M.B.S., M.M., M.P.H., M.S., P.S.M.) and reflected on the transcript, but both majors will be noted. The student must specify, prior to graduation, which degree is to be used for degree granting purposes. Students pursuing double majors must meet all requirements and must apply for, take, and pass the comprehensive examination or approved equivalent in each major. No degree will be awarded until all requirements for both majors are complete.

If a student is interested in obtaining two master's degrees, they must complete the first degree program before applying to the other. Students may be advised by the program or Graduate Dean that it is to their advantage to seek a higher degree (specialist or doctorate) upon completion of a master's degree rather than obtaining two master's degrees. Additional consultation from the student's program advisor or the Graduate School regarding a decision to declare a double major or to seek two master's degrees is strongly recommended.

Accelerated Masters or 4 + 1 Degree Program

All 4+1 programs require students to submit an application for admission to the accelerated master’s program when they have:

  • junior or senior standing,
  • 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA and,
  • have been officially accepted in to a UNC graduate program for a term after their bachelors degree has been awarded.

Upon admission to the graduate program, the undergraduate student works with a graduate advisor to identify up to nine (9) credit hours at the 500 level in the graduate program to which the student was admitted. The student must:

  • Complete and submit the Petition to Count Work Toward the Next Higher Degree form to the Graduate School prior to completion of the undergraduate degree. No exceptions or appeals.
  • Students must satisfy all requirements for both degrees.
  • The 500-level courses, designated for shared credit (UG and Grad) within accelerated master’s degree, apply only to the accelerated master’s degree, do not automatically transfer to another UNC graduate degree, and are approved for internal transfer by Graduate School.
  • The aforementioned Petition confirms the nine (9) 500 level graduate credits count towards the student’s undergraduate and master’s degree.
  • No more than 9 credits may be completed while the student is an undergraduate,
  • The credits identified on the Petition are at undergraduate tuition rates. Graduate tuition rates apply to the remaining program credits.
  • Students are eligible for graduate scholarships or assistantships and may enroll in 600 level courses once they hold graduate student status.